Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Ribollita

This soup recipe comes from Everyday Pasta by Giada De Laurentiis. The picture in the book looked great, and we love soup, but as I was making it I really didn't think I'd like it. It looked like there was way too much spinach and I didn't see how the flavors were going to blend together. As it turns out, I LOVED this soup!!! I really should have trusted in Giada because I have loved every one of her recipes that I've made. I used turkey bacon instead of pancetta and omitted the cannellini beans. Since I left out the beans, I added a bit more broken spaghetti to bulk it up. I really can't tell you how great this soup is. I will definitely be making it again!!!
Ribollita

Ingredients:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
4 ounces pancetta, chopped (or turkey bacon)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice (I used petite cut)
1 1o-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (I omitted)
2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 bay leaf
3-inch piece of Parmesan rind
1 cup spaghetti broken into 1-inch pieces (extra if omitting beans; I used whole wheat thin spaghetti)
Grated Parmesan, for serving

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-heat. Add the onion, carrot, pancetta, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook until the onion is golden brown and the pancetta is crisp, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.

2. Add the tomato paste and stir until dissolved. Add the tomatoes and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all of the brown bits.

3. Add the spinach, beans, herbes de Provence, broth, bay leaf, and the Parmesan rind. Bring the soup to a boil, then add the spaghetti, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente.

4. Discard the Parmesan rind and bay leaf, and ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.

Source: Adapted from Everyday Pasta

9 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me! Especially without beans, I'm not a big bean fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this while flipping through that cookbook and always tell myself I'm going to make it. I'm so glad you thought it was good! Now I have even more reason to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost made this soup once - it looks so delicious. Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a unique soup!! Sounds great, and looks great as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! I an never scared of too much spinach, it is just so delicious.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious and I've been saving a parm rind for something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard of this soup but have never made it...it looks fantastic! I love all the spinach, and I'm a big fan of the white beans too. Will have to make this soon, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so hearty and flavorful - yum! And yay for turkey bacon :)

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP