Search This Blog

Friday, October 23, 2009

Layered Taco Dip

This dip has been a party staple in my family for many years. It's easy to prepare, and almost everyone loves it. I'm sure there are many versions of it floating around, but I wanted to share this one. I made it last year for my and Bob's birthday party, and people went nuts over it. It's easily adaptable because if you don't like a layer (like black olives!) you just omit it!

In general, I'm not a huge fan of baked chips/snacks (Baked Cheetos are a big exception because those things are amazing!), and I really didn't like the Baked Tostitos that came out a few years ago - I thought they tasted like cardboard. Within the last year I tried Baked Tostitos Scoops, and they are surprisingly good! I don't know if they changed their recipe or if the scoops are different than the other shapes, but these things are really great. Not quite the same as the original, but close enough that I don't mind swapping to be a little healthier!
Layered Taco Dip

1st layer - 2 cans jalapeno bean dip (note this is dip not refried beans, and it may not say jalapeno but will have it in the ingredient list)

2nd layer - 3 ripe avocados mashed with 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt (I omit this layer because avocado makes my mouth itch - weird!)

3rd layer - Mix 1/3 cup mayonnaise (I use light), 1 cup sour cream (I use light), and 1 packet taco seasoning mix

4th layer - 1 bunch green onions (with tops), sliced fine

5th layer - 3 tomatoes, juice and seeds removed, diced

6th layer - 1 small can sliced ripe black olives, drained

7th layer - 1 package (or less) shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese (I used 2% cheese)

Directions:
1. Assemble all of the layers in order on a platter.

2. Refrigerate until ready to serve, but make the day you plan to serve. Goes great with tortilla chips, especially Baked Scoops!

Source: My Mom

9 comments:

  1. We have this all the time too! It looks great.
    I am soo with you on the Baked Cheetos. I love those thing and share them with my kids sometimes- makes it feel like it isn't as much of a guilty pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could totally eat that picture. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good to me! My mom used to make something similar, always a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love layered taco dip! I make mine a little differently, but it's the same basic concept. I brought it to one party where late in the evening, no joke, I actually caught people licking the dish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks perfect for a big crowd! I'm a Baked Lays fan, although I don't really consider them potato chips, they're still pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looove taco dip--it's the perfect party food :-) I like serving it with toasted pita chips, made from pita bread!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great dip combination of products for tortilla chips! I'd love to try this one! ;)

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP