Search This Blog

Monday, October 12, 2009

Peach Blueberry Crumbles and a restaurant review!

This summer Bob and I visited my sister and her boyfriend in Michigan. On our way home we did something I've always wanted to do - blueberry picking! We had so much fun seeing the blueberry bushes and picking two varieties of our own blueberries. I think there's something to be said about seeing food growing and realizing where it comes from - too often I forget about that when I grocery shop.

We now have a freezer full of blueberries! I made this recipe back in August when we had some fresh Michigan peaches as well, but I'm sure frozen peaches would work wonderfully. I actually used the rest of the peaches we had and made up a big batch of this filling which is in the freezer for a rainy day when I'm missing my summer fruits!

These crumbles were so delicious, as you can imagine! In my book, you can't go wrong with peaches, blueberries, and a crumb topping!

And lastly, when I started my blog I had a certain 'vision' (stated below) about the different things I would include. One of these things was restaurant reviews - which I've never actually done before. However, since Bob and I have actually been to several new restaurants lately with all the visiting parents, I thought I would share our thoughts for those of you living in or planning to visit Chicago.

Several weeks ago Bob's dad was in Chicago on business, so we all went to Roy's. The owner of Roy's is Roy Yamaguchi, who competed in Top Chef Masters. Roy's restaurants are actually in a number of states, so check their website to see if there's one near you! The cuisine is called Hawaiian Fusion, and it was fantastic! Bob and his dad shared the spare ribs appetizer, and we all split the lobster potstickers with miso brown butter. They thought the ribs were wonderful - very tender. I loved the potstickers! I would have never thought a butter sauce would pair perfectly with potstickers, but it really did. Bob had the scallops with squash puree, spinach, and pumpkin seeds - he said it was soooo amazing. His dad had the Butterfish, which he said was incredible. And I had a chicken dish, which was really delicious (I'm slowly easing my way into seafood - at least I ate the lobster potstickers!). We decided not to order their specialty chocolate souffle, but I'd love to go back to try it! Just a note on the menu - it changes often, so these items may not necessarily still be available, but this restaurant is fabulous so I'm sure anything you get there would be great!

Ok, recipe time:


Peach Blueberry Crumbles

Serves 2 (originally recipe serves 5-6).

Ingredients:
For the fruit:
2 peaches
Squeeze of lemon juice
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons (1/6 cup) fresh blueberries

For the crumble:
2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons (1/6 cup) all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons light brown sugar, lightly packed
dash of salt
dash of cinnamon
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cold unsalted butter, diced

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F.
1. Make the fruit: Place peaches in boiling water for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then immediately transfer to cold water. Peel peaches and slice. Combine lemon juice, sugar, and flour in a small bowl, then gently toss in peaches and blueberries. Let sit for 5 minutes, then spoon into 2 ramekins.

2. Make the topping: Combine flour, sugars, salt, cinnamon, and butter with an electric mixer until the butter is the size of peas. Rub the mixture with your fingers until it's in big crumbles, then sprinkle it over the fruit.

3. Place the ramekins on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 40 - 45 minutes, until tops are browned and crisp, and juices are bubbly.

Enjoy! :)

Source: Adapted from Aggie's Kitchen (originally from Barefoot Contessa)

8 comments:

  1. My hubby's grandma has blueberry bushes, so we were able to pick tons and stash them in the freezer too. Frozen blueberries make a yummy treat.
    These crumbles look fantastic- I love the combo of peach and blueberry.
    The food at the restaurant sounds amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so beautiful- love the colors and the mix of flavors of two of my favorite fruits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iam in Germany for the last 3 months and I truly enjoyed picking berries from the shrubs along the lake side :)
    Nice write up and a mouth watering recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, these look delicious and I'm jealous that you have both the filling and more blueberries frozen away!

    I really enjoyed your review - we've been to a Roy's too and would definitely go back, everything was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Went to Roy's in Oahu... the butterfish is absolutely fabulous. I totally agree! And the vodka-soaked pineapple is good stuff!

    I just made peach crumb bars the other day - I bet the blueberries in here was really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm, crumble. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roys is one of my favorite restaurants!! I love the butterfish and the potstickers! We sat at the bar last time and they treated us with free samples of their apps!!

    This crumble was my favorite dessert this summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love crumbles with a big blob of whipped cream on top :-)

    And my grandpa is currently in the process of growing a "Pick-and-Pay" blueberry field--I can't wait! :-)

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP