Search This Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

Coconut Curry Chicken

DSCN5326_labeled

When I first moved to Chicago, I used to order a coconut curry chicken dish at Big Bowl. It was so delicious but rather expensive, so I wanted to find a recipe to make at home. I first found this recipe back in 2005 and have made it many times. I don't know the source exactly, but when I Googled it, an almost identical recipe came up from Cooking Light, so that is what I'll source. The nice thing is that this dish is relatively light. I think this recipe is fantastic, especially served over jasmine rice. Cooking the chicken in the coconut milk makes it very tender and flavorful. The bits of onions add a slightly sweet element, and the fresh basil adds another flavor dimension.

One day I took some leftovers to work and was eating in the lunch room. A friend in my lab told me it smelled just like her mom's curry, and considering her mom is a Chinese immigrant who is well versed in Thai curries, I took it as a compliment!

Coconut Curry Chicken

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
1 cup chopped onions
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
3/4 cup light coconut milk
steamed rice (I prefer Jasmine) or Chinese egg noodles or rice noodles

Directions:
1. Prepare rice or noodles, if desired.

2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add onion and saute 3 minutes. Add basil, stir-fry for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm.

3. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir-fry 30 seconds. Add curry powder, salt and red pepper; stir-fry 10 seconds. Add chicken and stir-fry 3 minutes.

4. Stir in coconut milk, reduce heat to medium. Cook 2 minutes or until chicken is done. Stir in basil mixture and toss well.

5. To serve, spoon mixture over rice or noodles.

Source: Adapted from Cooking Light

8 comments:

  1. This is my kind of dish too! Beautiful picture by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious, and the color is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coconut and curry! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all over this. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, looks fabulous. I've been on a curry kick lately :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks soo good!!! I will definitely have to try it! Congrats on your blogerversary (hehe) I just had mine as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this last month and it was really good and we loved it but yours just looks so much yummier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. if you want to buy a dishwasher then you are right place
    we create a list of best dishwasher 2020 for you

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP