Search This Blog

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Chicken Tostadas with Cilantro Lime Drizzle

Recently I've had a culinary block and can't seem to figure out what to make for dinner. Hot weather deters me from some of my favorite baked pasta dishes and soups. This past weekend, I had Bob choose some dinners out of my saved recipes from other cooking blogs. His first pick was this recipe for Chicken Tostadas. I was excited for two reasons: 1) the tostadas are served with a cilantro lime ranch drizzle which sounded amazing, and 2) it gave me an excuse to whip up a batch of delicious homemade salsa! We both loved this dinner and will make it again!
Chicken Tostadas with Cilantro Lime Drizzle

Ingredients:
For the tostadas:
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, shredded (see method below)
6-inch corn or flour tortillas
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional) 
Suggested toppings:  diced plum/Roma tomato, shredded Romaine lettuce, shredded cheese, light sour cream, salsa  

For the Cilantro Lime Drizzle:
1/2 cup light Ranch salad dressing
juice of 1 lime
handful of cilantro

Directions:
1. Prepare shredded chicken:  I followed a method outlined here and here. I cut 1 chicken breast into 3 pieces, put them into a medium saucepan, then topped them with 1 14-ounce can of chicken broth, the equivalent of 1/4 of that can of water, a sprinkle of cumin and chili powder, and some fresh ground pepper. I brought it to a boil, uncovered, then reduced heat to a simmer, partially covered, for 7 minutes. Then covered completely, removed pan from heat and let sit for 30 minutes. I removed the chicken from the broth and shred it with 2 forks.

2. Prepare Cilantro Lime Drizzle: Add all ingredients to a mini food processor and blend well.

3. Heat oven to 450F. Lay tortillas on racks to crisp (just a few minutes, watch closely). 

4. Top tortillas with black beans, if desired, chicken, and other suggested toppings. Drizzle Cilantro Lime sauce on top. 

Serves 2

Source: Adapted from Skinny Bovine's Kitchen

8 comments:

  1. Oh this looks so good and simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm... glad you and bob liked it! i'm flattered! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hot weather is getting to me too. This looks perfect for a quick dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so delicious with your yummy cilantro lime drizzle! I'm going to try your way of making shredded chicken, it sounds good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a perfect summer dish! I know what you mean, I won't be having lasagna anytime soon-it just doesn't work with this 105 degree weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look good and simple. Something I must try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so refreshing. I can just imagine how wonderful that cilantro lime drizzle is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect summer meal! I love all the flavors here and the cilantro lime drizzle sounds amazing. I definitely need to try this.

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP