Search This Blog

Friday, June 5, 2009

Double Tomato Bruschetta

Like I've said before, my sister's boyfriend Steve is a great cook. Once when they were visiting Bob and I in Chicago, he made these Double Tomato Bruschetta appetizers. They are a-mazing! No wonder they have a 5/5 rating on Allrecipes.com! My sister and I made them for my mom and aunt on Mother's Day 2008, and they raved about them, so I made them when my mom and sister recently visited. I really don't think you can go wrong with tomatoes and fresh basil, but the addition of sun-dried tomatoes elevates this bruschetta to a new level of yumminess. This is a must-try recipe!
Double Tomato Bruschetta

Ingredients:
6 Roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup fresh basil, stems removed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 French baguette
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
1. Preheat oven on broiler setting. In a large bowl, combine the roma tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, vinegar basil, salt, and pepper. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes.

2. Cut the baguette into 3/4-inch slices. On a baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer. Broil for 2 minutes, until slightly brown. UPDATE: On Christmas Eve, I drizzled a jelly roll pan with olive oil, then placed the baguette slices on top, then drizzled them with olive oil and broiled until they were crispy. Then I used half a garlic clove and rubbed over the top of each slice. I let them cool on a cooling rack before topping with the tomato mixture. These were even better than before!!!

3. Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the baguette slices. Top the slices with mozzarella cheese. Broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

Serves 12

9 comments:

  1. I love sun dried tomatoes. What a wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super delicious. After step 2 use a garlicboss to rub a fresh garlic clove on your baguette slices. No garlic chunks! 5 out of 4 stars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how delicious these look! A great combination - I'll definitely try it. Thank you so much for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that it has regular and sun-dried tomatoes! It definitely looks worthy of 5 stars (allrecipes is one of my favorite sites)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't make bruschetta in so long and it is one of my favorites! I'll have to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sun dried tomatoes. They give it some sweetness. I'll have to try this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love bruschetta and you've done such a great job with these. Definitely bookmarking this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh man! love the double-tomatoes in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe was the absolute best. I brought some to a party last night and got so many compliments.

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP