Search This Blog

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Baker's Edge Brownie Pan and Ina's Outrageous Brownies

I have to share this cool brownie pan that my sister and I gave to my mom for her birthday - the Baker's Edge Brownie Pan.  For those who love the edges and corners of brownies, this pan is perfect - practically every brownie is an edge or corner!

My dad took a picture of the first brownies they made in the pan:

This picture is just of a boxed brownie mix, but I thought I'd post the recipe for Ina Garten's Outrageous Brownies.  These brownies are so delicious.  Very rich and chocolately.  I don't know that they'd be my 'everyday brownie' - not that I even have brownies everyday :) - but they are definitely worthy of special occasions.  I found the recipe on the Food Network website, and the reviews were overwhelmingly positive.  I've made these for my family multiples times.  The original recipe is scaled for a 13 x 18-in sheet pan, which I don't own, so I cut it in half for a 13 x 9 pan.  I don't have a picture of these to post, but they look like your typical fudgy brownie; they just taste much better! 

Outrageous Brownies
 
Ingredients:  
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter (I usually just use salted)
1/2 pound (8 ounces) plus 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, divided
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3 extra-large eggs (I just used large, but Ina always recommends extra-large)
1 1/2 Tablespoons instant coffee powder
1 Tablespoon real vanilla extract
1 cup + 2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups diced walnut pieces (I'm allergic to nuts, so I omit these)

Instructions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease and flour a 13 x 9 x 1 1/2-inch sheet pan.  

2.  Melt together the butter, 1/2 pound of chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate on top of a double boiler. Cool slightly.  

3.  Stir together the eggs, instant coffee, vanilla and sugar.  Stir in the warm chocolate mixture and cool to room temperature.  

4.  Stir together 1/2 cup of the flour, baking powder and salt.  Add to cooled chocolate mixture.  
5.  Toss the walnuts and the 6 ounces of chocolate chips with 2 Tablespoons flour to coat (Note:  Because I omit the walnuts, there is excess flour after coating the chocolate chips.  The purpose of the flour is to allow the chips to remain suspended in the batter, rather than sink to the bottom, so I just remove the excess flour by placing the chips in a wire strainer and sifting it off.)  Then add the walnuts/chocolate chips to the batter.  Pour into prepared pan.

6.  Bake for about 30 minutes, or until tester just comes out clean.  Halfway through the baking, rap the pan against the oven shelf to allow air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough.  Do not over-bake!   

7.  Cool thoroughly, refrigerate well and cut into squares.  

Final note:  Some people prefer these cold, some at room temperature, and some heated up with vanilla ice cream - it's up to you!

Source:  Adapted from Food Network, originally from Ina Garten's The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

1 comment:

  1. mmm...I think you should make these for your husband tonight.

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP