My mom got this recipe from a friend many years ago. She always added the pecans, so I never tried them as a kid due to my allergy. A few years ago I requested that she make some without nuts so I could try them. I had been missing out all these years! These cookies consist of a buttery cookie base, and the chopped candied cherries give them a chewiness, which is nicely complemented by the crunchy coconut exterior. Plus, aren't they so festive?! These cookies have now become a part of my Christmas baking tradition!
Hope you have a wonderful holiday season! Here is a picture of Ava with Santa from this weekend :-)
Santa's Whiskers Cookies
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup finely chopped red and green candied cherries (about 1/2 of small container of each)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
3/4 cup coconut
1. Cream butter, sugar, milk, and vanilla extract.
2. Add flour, cherries, and pecans (if using).
3. Form into 2 rolls each 2 inches in diameter and 8 inches long. Roll in coconut.
5. Slice 1/4" thick, place on ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake at 375F for 10 - 12 minutes.
Makes 5 dozen.
Source: my mom's friend