Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

1st Birthday Cake - 1st Try with Fondant!

DSC_0068_labeled

My very good friends Jenny and Jeff recently threw a party for their son Andrew's 1st birthday. I was honored when she asked if I would make his cake. After making the monkey cookies for her baby shower last year, I wanted this cake to be very special for such a big occasion. We decided that I would make a small cake for him to get into and cupcakes for the rest of the guests. Jenny went with a train theme for the party - she decorated the tables with red table clothes and used black streamers to make "train tracks" down the length of each table. Andrew wore a shirt featuring a train and a big "1." There were pictures up around the room of Andrew from each month of his life. It's amazing to see how much he's grown!

Like most babies, Andrew had never had many sweets before. He was timid at first but then enjoyed running his tiny hands over the surface of the blue buttercream frosting. He particularly liked the fondant decorations, which was surprising and a little worrisome given their chewy/gum-like texture, so we gently encouraged him to focus more on the frosting. When he got his first real taste of the buttercream, his little legs started shaking up and down - seriously the cutest thing! Andrew seemed to enjoy his cake, and his guests really liked the cupcakes. The party was so much fun for everyone, and I hope Andrew will look at pictures and the video someday and be so proud that his parents put forth the effort for his 1st birthday . . . or at least Jenny and Jeff will have happy memories of this major milestone in the life of their first child! :)

Here are a few details on the cake:

I decided to cheat and used a box mix for the cake and cupcakes for 3 reasons, 1) the amount of cake batter I needed for 36 cupcakes and a 6" double layer cake, 2) the party was on a Saturday meaning everything had to be made on weeknights after I got home from work, and 3) cake mixes are just so darn moist and stay that way even when the cupcakes are refrigerated for a few days.

I used 2 boxes of Duncan Hines yellow cake mix (the only brand my aunt, who is the designated birthday cake baker in our family, uses). This made 36 cupcakes and 2-6" layers. I also made a double batch of Easy Vanilla Buttercream (recipe coming soon!). The cupcakes were frosted with buttercream, and these adorable toothpick toppers that Jenny made were inserted at the party:

DSCN8137_labeled

The buttercream was used to bind the 2 layers and coat the entire cake. I piped more buttercream around the top and bottom of the cake using a large star tip (I believe it's a Wilton 1M). Then I set out to conquer fondant . . .

I have been wanting to try Annie's recipe for Marshmallow Fondant for a while now, and I used her Fun with Fondant tips as a guide. I cut the recipe in half and still had much more than enough for making the decorations. I used an X-acto knife and free-handed the decorations. I just added a little more buttercream to the back of each before "pasting" them to the cake - not sure if it was necessary but I wanted to make sure they would stick.

DSC_0060_labeled

I used store-bought black gel icing to draw a train track around the cake, and Jenny found a "Thomas the Train" toy that we put on the track at the party. Coincidently, she discovered that all Thomas the Train's have a "1" on them - perfect for a 1st birthday party!!!

I think that's it! I consider my first run at fondant a success, and I'm exciting to use it again.

Like I mentioned, I'll be posting the Easy Vanilla Buttercream recipe soon! :)

Marshmallow Fondant

(Note: This is a half batch)

Ingredients:
vegetable shortening, for greasing bowls
8 ounces plain marshmallows (1/2 bag)
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon clear flavoring (such as vanilla extract)
1 pound powdered sugar, divided
pinch of salt

Directions:
1. Using the shortening, generously grease a large microwave-safe bowl, the bowl of the stand mixer, a spoon/spatula (or two), and the mixer dough hook.

2. Add the marshmallows and water to the prepared microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 60 seconds. Stir with the greased spatula/spoon. If not all the marshmallows have melted, microwave for 30 more seconds. Stir in the flavoring.

3. Reserve 1/2 cup of the confectioners’ sugar and add the rest to the bowl of the stand mixer, along with the salt. Create a well in the center. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the well and turn the mixer on to the lowest setting. When the mixer sounds strained, turn the speed up one setting. Turn off the mixer once all the sugar has been incorporated. If the fondant is sticky, add the reserved sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until it is no longer sticky. (I did not need any of the reserved sugar!)

4. Turn the fondant out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Rub a bit of shortening on the outside of the ball. Wrap tightly with the plastic wrap, place it in a resealable plastic bag and let rest for at least 2-3 hours. Keep the unused portions covered when not in use. If the fondant becomes stiff, microwave for 20 seconds at a time until it becomes pliable.

Source: Adapted from Annie's Eats

5 comments:

  1. That is a very cute cake! I have never tried using fondant, i didn't know it was something that could be made that easily. I will have to try it for the next birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa Ginczycki3/9/11, 8:30 AM

    Great job on the cake! It looks adorable and delicious! I didn't realize that fondant was so easy to make either. All the more reason to try it at home, I suppose! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done! this looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job - so cute!!

    Working with marshmallow fondant is so fun :)

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP