Search This Blog

Monday, May 31, 2010

Lemon Chicken

DSCN6506_labeled

Hello out there!! With all of the hoopla involved in relocating to a different city, it's been a long time since I've actually cooked anything. We have been in our new place for a week now and are starting to settle in. I'm trying to get back into the groove of cooking and baking, which is nice, but we still don't have internet! I'm hopeful that it will be connected this week, so regular blogging can resume :)

This is the first real meal I cooked in my new kitchen. I served this Lemon Chicken over brown rice with a mixed green salad topped with strawberries, grated mozzarella, sliced mushrooms (for Bob), and creamy poppy seed dressing. It was such a flavorful, summery meal!

I used 2 chicken breast halves instead of 4 and half the amount of corn flake coating but kept the amount of egg wash and sauce the same. I'm just providing the full recipe as it was originally written. I also think a little bit of salt on the chicken before the egg wash is necessary, the small amount of soy sauce did not do the trick for me. I also don't think it's necessary to slice the chicken before putting it on the plate. Sure it looks pretty, but I think this made the chicken get cold faster, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Lemon Chicken

Serves 4

Ingredients:
For the chicken:
¾ cup finely crushed corn flakes cereal
½ teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon pepper
salt to taste
1 egg white
1 teaspoon soy sauce
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

For the sauce:
½ cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/3 cup honey
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ketchup
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tesapoon grated lemon peel
2 green onions, sliced

Directions:
1. Line a baking sheet with foil; place in oven. Heat oven to 450F.

2. In a pie plate, combine crushed cereal, ginger, and pepper; mix well. In a small bowl, beat egg white, water, and soy sauce until frothy. Lightly salt each chicken breast half as desired, and dip in the egg white mixture. Place in pie pan; spoon cereal mixture over chicken to coat evenly.

3. Remove hot foil-lined baking sheet from oven; arrange coated chicken on sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until internal temperature of chicken reaches at least 165F.

4. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine broth and cornstarch; blend until smooth. Add honey, lemon juice, ketchup, and garlic powder; mix well. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in lemon peel.

5. To serve, cut each chicken breast half crosswise into 6 or 7 pieces (or leave whole), arrange on 4 individual plates (over rice if desired). Spoon sauce over chicken; sprinkle with green onions.

Source: Adapted from Pillsbury’s Best Chicken Cookbook

7 comments:

  1. Isn't it a great feeling to finally have a chance to use a new kitchen? Your fisrt meal looks so appetizing. I make a very similar recipe...however, instead of the egg wash I use plain yogurt which helps to tenderize the chicken further. I've never made this tantalizing sauce to go with it...therefore, I'm so glad to have passed by.
    Congrats on your new place and flavourful wishes. Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your transition is going well! How fun to cook your first meal in your new kitchen, I remember my first meal in my apartment was homemade burgers and fries! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the first meal in your new kitchen, you definitely picked a winner! Lemon chicken is a favorite of both my husband and I - looking forward to making it this week.
    Congratulations on being in the new house, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous photo! Glad you're settled in and cooking in your new place :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful photo! It looks like a perfect first meal in a new house and new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fantastic...I love the presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made this tonight. Loved it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP