Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Pico de Gallo Chicken Quesadillas

I found this recipe on AllRecipes a LONG time ago (I think at least 2 years) and had it saved. I kept putting off making it, which is unfortuante, because these were fantastic!!! The pico de gallo was so fresh tasting with plenty of lime (just like I've had in Mexico!) and I loved how it was added to the quesadillas and used for topping. Bob took one bite and said "oh yeah!" and nodded his head - that's pretty much his sign of approval :)

Pico de Gallo Chicken Quesadillas

Ingredients:
2 tomatoes, diced
1 onion, finely chopped
2 limes, juiced
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into strips (or the equivalent of cooked chicken)
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1 green pepper, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 12-inch flour tortillas
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 cup sour cream, for topping

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno, salt and pepper. Set aside.

2. In a large skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Add chicken and saute until cooked through. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.

3. Put the remaining 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in the hot skillet and saute the sliced onion and green pepper until tender. Stir in the minced garlic and saute until the aroma is strong. Mix in half of the pico de gallo and chicken breast meat. Set aside; keep warm.

4. In a heavy skillet, heat one flour tortilla. Spread 1/4 cup shredded cheese on the tortilla and top with 1/2 the chicken mixture. Sprinkle another 1/4 cup cheese over the chicken and top with another tortilla. When the bottom of the tortilla is lightly brown and cheese has started to melt, flip quesadilla and cook on the opposing side. Alternatively, place filling (1/8 of the cheese, then 1/4 of the chicken, then 1/8 of the cheese) on half the tortilla and fold it over. Repeat with all 4 tortillas.

5. Remove quesadilla from skillet and cut into quarters. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve quesadillas with sour cream and remaining pico de gallo.

Source: Adapted from Allrecipes.com

8 comments:

  1. Yum..I love love love quesadillas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. quesadillas are probably my favorite food. i just ate breakfast, but now i'm hungry again. thanks meghan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I never get to make quesadillas since my girlfriend won't eat them. I'll just live vicariously through you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That photo is gorgeous!! I love chicken quesadillas. I have a feeling I'm making Mexican tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that I have fresh jalapenos, making homemade pico de gallo and salsa is on my to-do list. These look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought tortillas to make quesadillas! These look wonderful - I love pico!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another delicious recipe! A homemade pico is hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You quesadillas recipe sounds delicious. Here's a related versatile quesadillas recipe. Let us know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP