My family first had Chocolate Cracker Candy at a family friend's house many years ago and fell in love with it. It's pretty simple but so delicious. I know there are several versions of this recipe around - some using graham crackers for example. I prefer the saltines because they really contribute to the salty/sweet aspects of the candy. And no one will ever guess they are saltines - seriously!
I've made a note below that you must use real, stick butter and margarine for this recipe for it to turn out right. I know some people prefer to avoid margarine, so if that's the case this might not be the recipe for you. I personally don't use margarine on a daily basis but will make an exception for exceptional recipes such as this :)
I make this candy every year during the holidays and give it away in decorative tins or wrapped up in small bags. When stored in the fridge, it lasts quite a long time. Another thing I love about this candy is that it's so versatile - you can top it with virtually anything (think candy, peppermint, toasted coconut, nuts) and even the chocolate can be personalized to suit your taste - white chocolate, colored chocolate, mint chocolate, raspberry chocolate, swirled, etc. I usually prefer straight up traditional (no topping, semi-sweet chocolate), but feel free to get creative. You will not be disappointed!
Last year I decorated with these red/green swirl morsels but could not find them this year :( I decided to use dark chocolate holiday M&M's instead.
I also decorated with toasted coconut this year for the first time.
Chocolate Cracker Candy
saltine crackers, approximately 1 sleeve (salted)
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter*
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine*
1/2 cup sugar
1 12-ounce bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
Optional toppings: red/green swirl morsels, M&M's, toasted coconut, crushed peppermint, chopped nuts (pecans or almonds)
*IMPORTANT NOTE: Use only stick butter and margarine - not soft or light. Must use the margarine so that the butter does not burn.
Preheat oven to 400F.
1. Line a medium-sized (close to 10 1/2" x 15 1/2" x 1") jelly roll pan with foil.
2. Place one layer of saltine crackers edge to edge to cover the pan.
3. In a heavy saucepan, heat the butter, margarine, and sugar to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, no stirring necessary.
4. Pour mixture over saltines and spread with a rubber spatula if necessary to distribute evenly over the crackers.
5. Bake about 6-10 minutes or until crackers are golden brown (the browner the crackers, the more toffee-tasting the candy will be).
6. Remove from oven and pour the chocolate chips over the crackers. Wait 1-2 minutes, then spread the chocolate to cover the entire surface. Optional: decorate with toppings of choice.
7. Refrigerate pan for 2 hours or longer. Break candy into pieces. Store in refrigerator for best results.
Source: Adapted from a family friend Margaret S.