Search This Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Blueberry Buttermilk pancakes

DSCN5406_labeled

To be honest, I don't usually care for homemade pancakes, and I certainly don't like pancakes from restaurants. My favorite pancakes are actually Aunt Jemima's Complete Buttermilk Pancakes, but not made the way the box recommends. I like them with more water, so the batter is very pourable, making for a very fluffy, light pancake. This may sound like breakfast blasphemy to some, but like I said, I'm just being honest :)

Several weeks ago I had some leftover buttermilk from another recipe, and I decided to search for a buttermilk pancake recipe. Because I had an abundance of Michigan blueberries in my freezer, I went with Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes. These pancakes were great! They were light and fluffy and had a delicious buttery flavor. As much as I love blueberry pancakes, I'd love to make these without the blueberries too. These just might have been better than my beloved Aunt Jemima Pancakes!

In the mood for some unique pancakes? Check out these Ricotta Pancakes or Blue Cornmeal Pancakes!

Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

Yields 2 to 3 servings

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
2 Tablespoons melted unsalted butter, plus some for frying
1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

2. Beat the eggs with the buttermilk and melted butter. Combine the dry and wet ingredients into a lumpy batter, being careful not to overmix (Overmixing results in flat, heavy pancakes!).

3. Heat some butter in a skillet over medium heat. Spoon 1/3 cup batter into the skillet and sprinkle the top with some of the blueberries. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes on each side.

4. Serve with maple syrup or topping(s) of choice.

Source: Adapted from Food Network

4 comments:

  1. My son loves buttermilk pancakes! Glad you made a note to not over mix the pancakes and leave the batter lumpy! That is an important tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fresh blueberry pancakes sound divine! I haven't had a pancake in a while. And they must of been really good if you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love pancakes. I used the Joy of Cooking Recipe and it rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I haven't found the very perfect plain pancake recipe yet so I'll have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP