Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Turkey Chili

DSC_0966

Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted! Getting ready for a baby is a lot of work! I have still been cooking and photographing, so I have lots of posts to share. Plus, now that it's fall (soooo exciting), I have so many recipes planned!

I made this turkey chili on one of the first chilly Saturdays of the season. Bob and my dad were working hard all day on some home improvement projects we were trying to squeeze in, so this was a nice dinner to have for when they took a football break.

I didn't really read the description for the chili or I would have noticed that this is a VERY spicy chili. They weren't kidding - this was insane! I would definitely adjust the heat next time, as it was almost difficult to eat without a big glass of milk. It was very, very good though! One ingredient I found interesting was the packet of hot chocolate mix! I didn't notice it at all so I'm sure it just blends with the tomato and spice flavors...sort of similar to the concept of a mole sauce.

I made this chili in the morning and put it in the crockpot on low all day - it turned out great. I've included the original directions, as well as what I did using the crockpot. This is definitely going to be one of the freezer meals I make to have on hand for after our baby girl is born!

Hope you're all enjoying the cooler weather as much as I am - perfect for baking!!! :-)

Turkey Chili

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 small green bell peppers, seeded and chopped (I also added a red and yellow pepper since I had them on hand)
1 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped (optional - may omit if worried about spiciness)
1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (may use less and adjust later for desired spiciness)
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1-ounce envelope instant hot chocolate mix
1 - 2 teaspoons salt (may want to start with 1 and add more to your taste)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes with green chile peppers (or 3 10-ounce cans Rotel), drained
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained
1/2 cup cheap beer

Directions:
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, green peppers and habanero pepper, if using; cook and stir until the onion is transparent.

2. Add in the ground turkey and cook until turkey is no longer pink, stirring occasionally to break up turkey into smaller pieces. (At this point, I transfered the turkey and veggies to the crockpot and added the rest of the ingredients directly to it).

3. Season with chili powder, red pepper flakes, paprika, cumin, oregano, pepper, hot cocoa mix, and salt. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, diced tomatoes with green chilies, tomato sauce, and kidney beans. Add the beer, and stir to mix.

4. Partially cover the pan, and simmer over medium heat for about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Or cook in crockpot on low for several hours or more until ready to serve).

5. Serve chili with your favorite chili toppings (like chopped onion and shredded cheese!).

Source: Adapted from Allrecipes.com

7 comments:

  1. This looks great! Glad to see you're back. Now update your sidebar... the new year is over halfway done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good....I love chili in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you eat this with beans? I would add more beans since I love them. Sounds very spicy which makes it wicked good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reminding me Lisa! I need a new header too!

    AS- yes I did eat the beans (although I picked some out!) The original recipe calls for added hot sauce at the end!!! My dad pulled it out of the pantry but then tasted the chili and put the hot sauce away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to make it, but I have to go buy some more cheap beer. I drank all of ours.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love turkey chili! Yours looks delicious and perfect for fall weather! Glad to see you back!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for another turkey recipe! Shawn and I are getting sick of boneless skinless chicken breast on our diet but still want to limit our red meat intake....this is perfect! Having been neighbors with a pregnant coworker (she gave birth 3 weeks ago) you better stock up on Tums if you are gonna keep cooking with Habeneros though!

    SIL

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP