Search This Blog

Friday, June 4, 2010

Pan-Fried Onion Dip

DSCN6538_labeled

I made this dip for a Memorial Day pool party at my aunt's house. Everyone loved it, and I thought it had a great flavor. The onions are so sweet and delicious, and the cayenne adds a nice kick. Ina has done it again! Serve this dip with your favorite veggies or chips.

I have a great dessert coming up next week. Have a great weekend! :)

Pan-Fried Onion Dip

Ingredients:
2 large yellow onions
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise

Directions:
1. Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds. (You will have about 3 cups of onions.)

2. Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool. *I did this the night before and stored the onions in a covered dish in the fridge. As I transferred the onions to the dish, I made sure to leave the excess grease in the pan.

3. Place the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the onions and mix well. Taste for seasonings. Serve at room temperature.

Source: Adapted from the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook via FoodNetwork.com

3 comments:

  1. I have been staring at this exact recipe for years. I've always wanted to make it-it just looks so good! Maybe for the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo I love onions--this sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, this sounds so perfect for a party! Ina does always have the best recipes :)

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP