Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2010

Cilantro Coconut Rice


There's not much else to say about this rice expect that it was so, so, so good! I'm not kidding - I really loved it. I used Jasmine rice instead of basmati. I love the sweetness of the coconut in this rice and the freshness of the ginger, jalapenos, cilantro, and scallions. Pair this with Coconut-crusted Chicken and you've got a very coco-nutty meal :)

Cilantro Coconut Rice

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups (10 ounces) basmati (or jasmine) rice
scant 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 Tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
2 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh jalapeno, including seeds
2 Tablespoons vegetable/Canola oil
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup packed fresh cilantro
3 scallions, chopped

Directions:
1. Wash rice in several changes of cold water in a bowl until water is almost clear. Soak rice in cold water 30 minutes, then drain well in a sieve. (I did not do 30 minutes...maybe 10).

2. Spread coconut in a skillet and toast over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until pale golden; watch carefully so it doesn't brown too much or burn. Cool completely.

3. Cook ginger and jalapeno in 1 Tablespoon oil in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring, until chile is softened, about 2 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.

4. Stir in water and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil, covered. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until rice is tender and water is absorbed, 12-15 minutes.

5. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork and transfer to a large bowl.

6. While rice cooks, pulse together coconut, cilantro, scallions, and remaining Tablespoon oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor until finely chopped.

7. Add cilantro mixture to cooked rice and stir gently until combined well.

Source: Adapted from APPLE A DAY, originally from Gourmet, found on Epicurious.com

11 comments:

  1. We make cilantro lime rice, but I love your coconut addition! Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds wicked good. I love coconut but my girlfriend isn't a fan. Maybe I'll just make it for myself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to jazz up boring rice - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make cilantro hominy rice and it is FABULOUS. So I'm thinking this would also be fabulous--in a different way. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has to be one of the best rice recipes I've seen. It sounds excellent! Such yummy flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had cilantro lime rice but never with the coconut...what a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Meghan. Thanks for stopping by my blog. In response to your question about the cumin, I would use 1/2 to 1 tsp cumin powder. I would add it at the same point you would add the seeds. The heat of the oil releases the scent of the cumin.

    You have a great blog. Thanks for sharing this coco rice recipe. I love coconut and cilantro!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmm.I love coconut rice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks soo good. I love coconut flavored things, but usually only use it in desserts and baked goods--I need to branch out a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meghan, I'm so glad you liked this! It's one of my fave sides for a Caribbean or Latin dinner. Thanks for reading my blog and even making my recipes. I can't wait to try some of your recipes out. Your blog is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot wait to make this!! Thanks for posting the recipe. I love anything exotic, tropical and Hawaii! Check out my blog too. I made the French Vanilla Ice Cream recipe you posted :) Good stuff

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP