Search This Blog

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Spicy Roasted Chicken

Bob and I spent Easter alone in Chicago this year. Since I don't eat ham, I decided to make a roasted chicken for dinner. I thought this recipe looked special enough for a holiday, and it definitely was. We loved the spices, and I honestly forgot how amazing a chicken baking in the oven smells! This recipe was perfect for a lazy day at home, since it takes nearly 4 hours to cook. This would be a great dish to serve to company because I think the colorful spices make for a nice presentation. I still have to post what we had with the chicken and for brunch that morning - coming soon!

Spicy Roasted Chicken

Ingredients:
1 4.5-5 pound whole chicken
1 medium onion, quartered
6-8 cloves of garlic, peeled
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dried thyme
3 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
Cooking spray

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 275F.

2. Rinse chicken. Place onions and garlic inside chicken cavity.

3. Mix all seasonings in a bowl and rub evenly over the bird. Spray the bird with cooking spray.

4. Place the chicken in a roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer into the thigh making sure not to touch bone.

5. Roast uncovered for 3 1/2 - 4 hours until the thermometer reads 170F. After 2 hours, baste the bird and repeat every half hour until done. (For a crispy skin, do not baste for the last hour of cooking).

6. Remove chicken from oven when finished and let rest for at least 10 minutes prior to carving.

Source: For the love of cooking

4 comments:

  1. I love roasting chicken..I do it all the time. My family just eats it up! Beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. I feel like an idiot for having never, ever made my own roasted chicken! Those ones that are already done at the store are too easy to buy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its crazy, but I think a roasted chicken fresh out of the oven is beautiful. Looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the spices, it looks fantastic! I've actually never roasted a whole chicken before, isn't that horrible?

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP